30/09/08

70.5


LINK

Fernando Alberto de Melo e Faro Lucas
Composite Score: 70.5

Dean: I love this clever revamp. Obviously, the cloth elements would have to be glued one to work like this, but again, I don’t think you can fault a Vampirella redesign on that count. I totally dig the jagged claw shapes, the emphasized bat-emblem, and the one full-panted left leg. Haha. Very cool.

Jon: I was hoping this one would make it to the finals. What a shocking design, incredibly innovative … practically alarming. I love the blood-red claw motifs - originally, I was bemoaning the absence of Vampirella’s signature flared collar, until I realized that the white tips on her hair evoke the same element. Smart! I do wish she had more of a distinctive silhouette, though - as it stands, if you saw her in the shadows, she’d just look like Victoria Beckham naked.

Dean: Oh man, Jon, I didn’t even catch the white tipped hair. That’s brilliant. This design deserves an anime action series.

Rachel: Damn, that’s sharp. I’d like to see how it works from more angles, though. Incidentally, I’m ordinarily a stickler about practicality, but I’m waiving that here, ’cause this is a character who has both sci-fi and mystical elements. As far as I’m concerned, normal limitations probably don’t apply.

Dan: Overall, very strong in concept. The short hair, again, eludes me, but the idea of her costume as an extention of her body, which exists in the book, is, um, well-suited to this concept. Glue isn’t needed, as Vampi can arrange it at will. The hint of an idea that the costume is arranged blood is fascinating as well. Solid and dramatic.

Vito: Too Witchblade looking for me. But it’s too strong of a piece to be scored lower. Dan’s right, it’s a strong concept, but looking at it, I didn’t see Vampirella; I saw a different character.

Trina: Sorry to keep being the practical one, but I want Vampi to wear something that stays on!

Dean: Considering the original costume’s practicality problems, I think most folks are willing to stretch believability a bit more than they would with another character, making the costume’s impracticality a feature rather than a hindrance. In this case, I don’t mind that at all.

Chris: This really pushes Vampirella to her more supernatural side and there’s nothing wrong with that. The white-tipped hair and the blood talons are really imaginative.

Joel: While the strong diagonal asymmetry of this costume works well with this pose, I don’t think it would translate well into others. Imagine this same costume in just a straight standing position—say, Vampirella waiting in line for a coffee. However, if, as Dan infers, the costume is magicked-up blood, then it could be constantly shifting around on her to create a similarly dynamic form for any pose.

Jusko: Nice, strong graphic design, but would need to be body paint or a “Venom” type of thing to work.

Jess: Very striking, but I would also like to see it from other angles and in other poses. It feels a little unbalanced to me right now.

Sem comentários: